Castle Mountain Resort in Alberta, Canada is one of the most under-the-radar ski resorts in all of the country. It is the second-largest resort in the province, features more than ninety-four runs on 3592 acres of terrain, and is one of the few ski areas in Canada with cat-skiing. This summer, Castle Mountain Resort is undergoing $1.5 million Canadian Dollars in improvements. Most are low-key changes, but one upgrade to their cat-skiing will make their operations state of the art.
The summer projects include:
- A new cat skiing cabin. This new thirteen-person cabin will be paired with a groomer that was previously used at Castle Mountain Resort. Amenities include “comforts such as deluxe bucket seats, two cabin heaters, an audio/charging system, and side window defrosters, just to name a few. Castle’s Powder Stagecoach Cat Skiing operation will continue to operate 5 days/week this season, from December 28, 2021, to March 19, 2022.”
- Snowmaking Enhancements: Snowmaking was added to the resort in 2019. This offseason, snowmaking has been added to the main mountain. This 1.1km expansion doubles their snowmaking production and includes new snow guns and pumps.
- A second water reservoir is being built to increase water capacity. It will hold “the equivalent of 4 Olympic swimming pools worth of water, the new reservoir will help the resort ensure it is compliant with strict, government-mandated water conservation objectives. Water will be stored in the spring, when flow rates are at their peak and conservation objectives met, then used in the late fall when snowmaking is most needed.”
- A drive replacement for the Red Chair. A drive is the brain of the chairlift, as it is a “unit which controls the motor of the lift and sends commands to start and stop, among other things.”
- New flooring in their day lodge. The aged carpet has been replaced by a rubberized surface that prevents slips and falls during the winter and wedding events in the summer.
Castle Mountain Resort is expected to open for the season on December 3rd. Season passes are still on sale from now until September 30th. In the meantime, snow has already started to fall.
castle MOUNTAIN is featured on the indy pass
Image Credits: Castle Mountain Resort