“I’m especially excited to showcase this season’s improvements as our next step in the evolution of redefining the Killington experience to be the best version of ourselves.” – Mike Solimano, president and general manager of Killington Resort
Killington, Vermont’s largest ski resort, is nearing completion of major upgrades ahead of the 2018/2019 ski season. The “Beast of the East” is pumping $25 million into improvements on everything from new lifts to snowmaking.
The project’s main highlight includes the addition of 44,000 feet of snowmaking pipes. This will bring snowmaking to two new trails on the mountain. In addition, the resort purchased four new groomers to groom all that newfound snow. Two standard groomers, one winch groomer, and park cat for shaping jumps in the terrain park will be added to the fleet.
The upgrades also include completing major maintenance to some chairlifts. Marketing Manager Jordan Spear indicated that these won’t be noticeable to guests but the updates are important to maintain safety and efficiency.
Smaller aspects of the project include the purchase of a building to be used for employee housing, new rental equipment, and new maintenance vehicles.
“Killington Ski Resort also owns Pico Mountain Ski Resort, though the two aren’t physically connected. Spear said there’s work being done there on snowmaking pipelines and ponds. The resort is also in the process of researching new water sources for snowmaking. It may end up drawing water from the Killington Ski Resort, but is seeing what its options are.” –Rutland Herald
This is good news for skiers as Killington continues to invest in the mountain. In recent years, summer operations have been boosted by huge investments in the mountain bike park. The resort shows no signs of slowing down any time soon.
- Snowdon Six Express bubble chairlift
- 44,000 feet of replaced and new snowmaking pipeline
- 4 new groomers
- Components upgrades to Bear Mountain Quad, Skye Peak Express and Superstar Express lifts
- Rental Shop Remodels for K-1 and Ramshead
- New Kitchen Equipment and Banquet Facility Equipment Upgrades
- New Desktop Computers, Point-of-Sale Stations, and Datacenter Upgrade
- Lodging Property Management System Upgrade
- ATV, UTV, Snowmobile, and Vehicle Replacements
- Human Resources Welcome Center Remodel
- Ramshead Childcare Center Roof Replacement
- Killington Access Road Paving (completed August 2018)
- Beast Mountain Coaster Cart Upgrades
- Waste Water Facility Upgrades