“(After) 16 days, the dog is probably dead, (I thought) ‘What am I doing here?’ But, I went ahead and started walking up. And, boy, I am glad I did.”

A Goldendoodle named Bently was in a vehicle when it was involved in a fatal crash near the Gunnison National Forest. After the crash Bentley took off into the woods and was missing for weeks. CBS4 reports his owners posted a reward to social media but it was Joe Stratmann’s love of dogs that brought out to search for the missing dog:

“I was just moved by the story. I am a dog lover. (After) 16 days, the dog is probably dead, (I thought) ‘What am I doing here? But, I went ahead and started walking up. And, boy, I am glad I did.”

Stratmann searched the area with two of his own dogs and as he passed treeline, he noticed something unique on the terrain up ahead. He pulled out his binoculars to confirm it wasn’t a mountain goat:

“I saw something white up there, moving around. I said, ‘Surely not, this can’t be this easy, that can’t be him.’”

Sure enough it was Bentley:

“(Bentley) was bouncing around, hunting mice up in the rocks.” 

Bentely was malnourished and dehydrated but no worse for wear and was returned to his family.  If dogs could talk I would love to hear his story.

“This guy has been what can only be compared to a mountain goat for the past 19 days. After the fatal accident where I lost my mom, Bentley was last seen running down hill from the accident. For the past 3 days he has been spotted far far above the accident site, laying amongst the rocks along the ridge of the mountain. Peering down at the Jeep wreckage, patiently waiting for his family to return. This morning, I left Pueblo, CO at 4:45am and drove the accident site in Buena Vista, CO. Along with a team, we spent hours hiking to the top of said mountain. I have never, and I mean never, done such dangerous and rewarding activity in my entire life. We were able to spot Bentley early in the day, a few hours in, I came within 30-40 feet of him. He wouldn’t come to me, but seemed interested. Eventually his fear got the best of him and he made his way to the ridge (top). I slowly but surely followed him, upon reaching the summit, I could see him watching me. I got close to him, laid down, unpacked some items to eat and a new toy I’d purchased from him. He never moved an inch for over 15 minutes. Eventually I decided to give him some space, back off for a few minutes, and that got his attention. When I came back, him and I slowly altered walking few steps towards each other until finally I was able to convince him to come into my arms. And from then it was nothing but tears and celebration! Bentley is okay, he’s a little malnourished and dehydrated. But otherwise no noticeable injuries. Thank you to everyone who played a role in bringing this sweet boy home. I know the past 19 days, God and my beautiful momma have been keeping an eye on him. GOD IS SO GOOD! ❤️”

images from BringBentleyBack FB