UNR isn’t allowing students not immunized to measles on campus after a student was confirmed infected and contagious. Washoe County Health District has released a list of locations where the person visited and was likely infectious including the Funitel bathroom at Squaw:
Renown Urgent Care – Vista, 910 Vista Blvd, Sparks, NV 89434, 4pm – 7pm.
Squaw Valley Ski Resort, Funitel restroom, 12:30pm – 2:40pm.
Raising Cane’s, 2175 N. Virginia St., Reno, NV 89503, 2:30pm – 5pm.
The Reno Gazette Journal spoke with Washoe County Health District spokesman Phil Ulibarri who said there is a treatment that could help prevent it from spreading for those exposed: “We want to get this message out because people who may have been exposed have a limited window for a prophylactic.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention describes measles symptoms starting with fever, runny nose, cough, red eyes and sore throat and is followed by a rash that spreads over the body.
If you think you may been exposed this is what the Washoe County Health District wants you to do:
Persons who were at the locations listed above during the times listed may have been exposed to the measles virus and should call the Washoe County Health District at 775-328-2447 to determine their risk for measles. Preventative treatment may be recommended for those who were exposed and are unvaccinated and who may be at high risk, such as pregnant women, infants younger than 12 months, and people with severely compromised immune systems. Persons who were present at any of the locations listed above during the exposure times should also call their health care provider if they experience any symptoms of measles. Contact your doctor’s office or the emergency room and tell them that you may have been exposed to measles. Please call the doctor’s office before physically going to the office, urgent care, or emergency room. You may be asked to put on a mask or take other protective measures to prevent transmission of the virus to others. The last date when a person would develop symptoms from this exposure is April 23rd.