The Nevada Department Of Transportation has closed Route 878 to Mt Rose Ski Tahoe due avalanche and white-out conditions making the road dangerous for public travel.
According to the NDOT public information officer, Meg Ragonese, two avalanches were reported in the vicinity of state route 878 with one of those slides running onto the road.
“Over 3 feet of fresh snow so far has Mt. Rose closed for the day due to highway closures. Get your powder skis and boards ready for tomorrow!” – Mt Rose Ski Tahoe
And while avalanches are surely a concern, “white-out and severe winter conditions” are the main reason for closure said Ragonese. In the meantime, the road will remain closed until the severe weather lifts and plows and avalanche mitigation techniques can secure the road for safe travel.
NDOT’s WINTER DRIVING TIPS
- Remove snow and ice from all vehicle windows, mirrors and lights prior to driving
- Only travel in winter weather when absolutely necessary, and leave early to provide enough time to safely reach your destination
- Slow down on winter roads- speed limits are based on road and weather conditions
- Keep a safe distance from other vehicles
- Watch carefully for snow removal equipment
- Use extra caution on bridges and ramps, as they may be icy
Find updates here: NDOT Twitter