What started as speculation after big snowfall totals piled up in South America has materialized into the only Freeride World Qualifier event to be held in South America this summer. The event, which is currently billed as a 2 star FWQ event for licensced athletes, will take place this weekend at Los Penitentes Centro de Ski in Argentina. Organizers announced the event on their Facebook Page just this past Saturday and now competitors are scrambling to find their way to the remote Argentinian ski area that lies approximately 3 hours to the northeast of Chile’s capital city Santiago.
The event is currently open registration with the roster capacity topping out at 80 athletes.
- Penitentes is remote. There is no WIFI and cell service is limited.
- The closest ATM is in Uspallata, a 35-minute drive down the valley toward Mendoza.
- Most businesses in Penitentes take cash only.
- If driving from Chile into Argentina, the border is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. The road goes through a high-alpine environment and can close without notice due to storms or other issues.
- If you have a Chilean vehicle, you will need to obtain special insurance and other documentation of ownership.
- USA citizens need to pay a $160 reciprocity fee to visit Argentina, which is good for 10 years.