If you’re still suffering from record low snows in the lower 48 there’s good news: 5 Earthly places are getting it good this year – Japan, Alaska, Europe, British Colombia, & Washington State.
Which one of these is the best call for a ski trip right now? Well, that clearly depends on your bank roll, the amount of time you can take off, and you’re proximity to these locations.
TOP 5 POWDER DESTINATIONS RIGHT NOW:
#1 – Europe
– Verbier has a 120 inch base and just got 16 inches of fresh snow. The Alps are having one of their best seasons ever. Unfortunately there has been so much snow that the Red Bull Linecatcher was cancelled.
#2 – Japan
– The islands are having a big year, Hukuba got 50 cms last night, and flights are still cheaper than normal due to tsunami’s effects. Check out this video from January 7th to see what snow looks like when it repeatedly hits you in the face: Japan Snow Face.
#3 – Alaska
– 390 inches of snow since October at Alyeska ain’t nothin’ to scoff at…and it’s still snowing. Heli/RV trip this spring, anyone? Nope, just go right now.
#4 – British Colombia
– Revelstoke has gotten 197 inches of snow this year. Whistler has gotten 204 inches this season with another 16 inches in the two day forecast.
#5 – Washington State
– Mount Baker has a 120 inch base and 3 inches of new snow right now. C’mon, these guys average 701 inches, you know they’ll get their snow and lift tickets are only $52.00.