^Approximate location of fire.
Granite Peak Ski Area (Wausau, WI) tweeted yesterday that a fire had broken out on the slopes of the ski area. The first started in a 10×10 electrical building near the junction of two ski trails.
Granite said that the fire was extinguished quickly, and that “minimal” damage occurred. Here are the tweets from yesterday afternoon:
Damage was minimal and there were no injuries. We are thankful for the quick response from our staff and SAFER for extinguishing the fire quickly.
— Granite Peak (@SkiGranitePeak) May 12, 2022
Local news station WSAW News Channel 7 shared a video of crews extinguishing the fire to their Facebook page.
It’s a little difficult to make out, but you can see the slopes scorched from the blaze.
I just want to acknowledge how refreshing it is to see a ski area be transparent. Granite could have easily tried to cover the fire up, but they chose to share the info to keep their guests informed.
I respect the hell out of that, and I’m happy that the damage was minimal.