iPhone Explodes In Mountain Biker's Pocket | Suffers 3rd Degree Burns

iPhone Explodes In Mountain Biker's Pocket | Suffers 3rd Degree Burns

Biking

iPhone Explodes In Mountain Biker's Pocket | Suffers 3rd Degree Burns

By

  • Man’s iPhone was in his back pocket when he fell.
  • Lithium batteries pose potential danger to action sports athletes

When it comes to mountain biking, getting injured is all part of the game but 3rd degree battery acid burns– now that you don’t see everyday on the trail.

Related: Newly Introduced Bill Would Allow Mountain Biking In Wilderness Areas

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, 36 year-old Gareth Clear was mountain biking near a suburb of Sydney when he lost his balance and fell to the ground. In what would otherwise be considered a very minor accident, Clear is now recovering from 3rd degree burns on the back of his right leg. Those burns are the result of his lithium iPhone battery exploding on impact. The iPhone was in his back pocket at the time of the fall.

“I just saw smoke coming out of my back pocket…and then all of a sudden I felt this surging pain” – Gareth Clear (*Quote courtesy of the Sydney Morning Herald)

Clear must now undergo skin graft surgery to replace the lost skin near his buttocks and Apple executives are taking notice. That said, Clear has not blamed Apple for the incident and instead hopes to raise awareness about the potential dangers of lithium batteries. Lithium batteries can succumb to external factors including external pressure, manufactured defect, overheating, and prior wear and tear.

Find the entire Sydney Morning Herald article here: Sydney bike rider Gareth Clear left with third-degree burns after iPhone ‘explodes’

More Unofficial Networks