In 2011, 14-year old Kieran Brooks was on a school-based ski trip to the Châtel Ski Resort in the southern alps of France when a chairlift ride went horribly wrong reports Planetski.eu.
During the ride, one of the straps on his backpack became entangled in the chair and as he attempted to offload, he became entangled and was consequently left hanging from the lift. The straps ended up around his neck cutting off his airway, which left the schoolboy from Torquay choking mid-air. After being let down, he was immediately transported to a hospital in Annecy and was later transferred to a hospital in Exeter, where he died a month later.
So far a 50-year old chairlift supervisor by the name of Richard Cettour and the operator of Châtel Ski Resort are facing multiple charges including involuntary manslaughter. The case is currently being heard in a court located in Thonon-Les-Bains.
On the day of the accident, backpacks were not allowed on the lift yet the 14-year old Brooks was allowed to ride.
In addition to that oversight, it’s also being noted that a safety device whose purpose is to stop the lift in such circumstances was not installed properly prior to the accident. Also, the supervisor is accused of not being at his post at the time of the accident and was slow to stop the lift.