HEXO+ is an intelligent aerial follow camera that allows you to get unbelievable footage without a pilot or cameraman. The system uses an aerial drone that connects to an app on your smartphone for aerial shots that look 100% pro. HEXO+ has a kickstarter campaign up right now that has raised over $800,000.
“We initially began thinking about HEXO+ because we needed a solution that would make aerial filming possible in the most remote places: on mountains, in the snow, and in all sorts of unpredictable situations that were quite a pain to deal with when trying to sync a drone pilot, a cameraman and a rider.
When we started toying with the idea, we realized that it had the potential to change the face of all kinds of aerial filming, making it dead simple. So we combined our expertise in action-sports movie-making, drone design and aeronautic software to create a drone capable of autonomously flying, filming and following, giving you access to amazing aerial shots with the bare minimum: a drone, a camera and an app on your smartphone.”
1. Frame your shot with a fingertip
Deciding how you want your aerial camera to frame your shot is ridiculously intuitive. A 3D model of your camera’s point of view lets you pinch to set the distance between your subject and your drone, slide laterally for panning and vertically for height. All you need is your smartphone plus three intuitive gestures and you’re set.
2. Press start to fly in position
When you push your filming settings to your drone, it will automatically take off and fly to its specified position – and hover there until your subject starts moving. No pilot, no camera operator, just ready for action in an instant.
3. Let your drone follow and film you
Your drone is attuned to the slightest of movements, continuously repositioning itself to match the filming parameters you set for it. You now have an intelligent flying camera tracking your exact trajectory and filming your every move.
4. Get stupidly good-looking aerial shots
Land your drone, collect your clips and enjoy. Our technology guarantees extra-smooth stabilized camera movements, continuous perfect framing, and creates the possibility for angles that are virtually impossible to achieve with traditional means. Read: you now have the capability to film Hollywood-style aerial shots – and beyond.
- Easy to use: set the framing on your smartphone and lock your target, the drone does the rest; from auto take-off to auto landing.
- Smart and autonomous: no remote control necessary; HEXO+ automatically follows your movements to maintain the framing you defined.
- Designed for action: lightweight, foldable frame and legs, removable propellers and gimbal to fit in a backpack.
- Extra fast flight: up to 70 km/h – 45 mph top speed to track even the fastest subject. Wind tunnel tested for improved aerodynamics.
- Extra stable: hexacopter design and 2D brushless gimbal to ensure vibration-free, smooth filming.
- Safe: Fail-safe software features and six propellers mean a safe landing in case of a problem.
- GoPro compatible mount: built for the best action camera out there.
- Optional 360cam mount: aerial 360° photos and videos! About 360cam.
- Includes The Director’s Toolkit: HEXO+ comes with a Garageband-like app to create filming scenarios with drag and drop, combinable camera movements: crane, 360° around you, dolly, far-to-close/close-to-far. Unleash your creativity.
- Dimensions: 62 x 52 x 12 cm – 24 x 20 x 5 inches
- Total weight: 980 g – 2.2 lbs
- Hexacopter design with 30° tilt propellers
- Speed range: up to 70 kmh – 45mph
- Flight time: 15 min with 3S battery, gimbal and GoPro attached
- Filming distance range: up to 50 meters
- Auto take-off and auto landing
- Trajectory anticipation
- Video target locking*
- GPS + onboard sensor position tracking
- Processor with MAVLINK protocol
- High performance 2D brushless gimbal
- Easy attach/detach from drone body for transportation
- GoPro mount
- GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition or Hero3 White Edition available
- iOS and Android versions
- Intuitive 3D framing or intuitive live view framing*
- Favorite framing presets
- Subject framing lock
- Emergency landing
* Only if stretch goal is reached!
You might think this is borderline magic, but it’s actually all orchestrated by a smart and lean use of technology. Our team has strong roots in critical aeronautic software development and that made HEXO+ possible.
On the smartphone side we have an intuitive interface for you to handle your drone easily, position it where you want in space and potentially (stretch goal!) wifi video live feed. This user interface is backed by trajectory anticipation algorithms that crunch data coming from the sensors on the drone and smartphone to predict the next, most likely position of the subject. This enables a quick, accurate tracking of the subject and is key in achieving great images. Finally, the smartphone and the drone communicate relative position to each other and data over the MAVLINK protocol, developed by the ETH in Zürich.
On the drone side of things, we have combined a drone that’s designed and optimised for aerial filming and action sports: robust construction, payload capacity and high speed and stability, thanks to the six tilted propellers. The onboard software is based on the 3D Robotics open-source code, and we optimised the MAVLINK implementation and the behavior of the drone to improve response time to commands sent from the mobile app. We also integrated over the air gimbal control to obtain the best possible camera angle based on the relative positions of the drone and the subject.