Today, was the best day of the year at Squaw Valley. We’ll be hard pressed to get a better day than today this season…
It’s incredible how much this one storm filled in Squaw. Granite is looking fat, The Fingers are in (except for the avy debris), & the Chimney is READY TO ROLL.
SQUAW WAS WILD TODAY:
1. Very deep, progressive, perfect-for-hucking Snow.
2. Enormous lift lines.
2. More avalanches than I’ve ever seen at Squaw.
3. A Skier dude who got buried off the Ice Goddess cliff on KT-22 (and scared the sh%t outta me).
…It was an intense day by any standard…
It was also a crazy fun day. The snow we had today is my favorite snow of all-time. Dense at the bottom, progressively getting lighter as you approach the surface. A progressive snowpack perfectly designed for hucking…and there was plenty of hucking today at Squaw.
WHAT GOT SKIED ON KT-22 TODAY:
– McConkey’s (Eagle’s Nest) [although the tracks weren’t too purty]
– Middle Knuckle (landing was hideous and it ate the guy up)
– My Air (dude got worked on the funky landing)
– Coleman’s Alternate (this thing’s modus operandi is devouring skiers)
– Hatchett line (skied well by a coupla dudicals)
A ton more Squallywood lines went down today. The boys were out and they were Teeing off.
The Palisades remained closed but the Chimney is in. This week could be a scary big week at Squaw.
Yes, you are reading this post correctly: SQUAW VALLEY IS BACK!!!
THE WEEKEND FORECAST:
Tonight: Snow showers. Low around 17. West wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Sunday: Snow showers. High near 27. West wind between 10 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Sunday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 11. West wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.