“We are excited that after four years of working with the National Ability Center, Architectural Nexus, Vail Resorts, and Park City Mountain this project is coming to fruition. The ‘temporary’ mountain center put in place over 20 years ago is long overdue for replacement. This new facility will positively impact the adaptive community both logistically and operationally.”– Michael Kerby, President of Big-D Construction.
A new adaptive sports center at Park City Mountain Resort had its groundbreaking ceremony yesterday. ABC4 Utah reports that the National Ability Center had a groundbreaking ceremony for its $6.5 million new ADA-accessible facility at the Park City Mountain Village. The Mcgrath Family Mountain Center will be a 9400-square-foot ski-in/ski-out facility that will become the main hub for the organizations’ ski, snowboarding, and mountain biking programs.
According to a press release provided to ABC4 Utah, the new National Ability Center will feature the following:
- The ability to serve significantly more people with disabilities in NAC’s ski and snowboard programs.
- Adequate indoor space to properly fit participants in mono and bi-skis. Once fitted, participants will slide on an artificial surface directly to the snow!
- Storage space for specialized adaptive ski equipment.
- Locker rooms for instructors as well as separate locker rooms for adaptive competitive athletes.
- Reception area, instructor kitchen, office, uniform storage room with laundry facilities, specialized sensory room for calming and multi-purpose rooms for training and education.
- Restroom facilities on-site for NAC participants and their families: a major upgrade from the current reliance on public restrooms, which are a short walk from the existing center.
The National Ability Center, which is situated in Park City, is a non-profit organization that has helped grow access to adaptive sports in the state of Utah. Its mission is to “empower individuals of all abilities by building self-esteem, confidence, and lifetime skills through sport, recreation, and educational programs.” The new building is expected to be completed and opened in the summer of 2023.
Image Credits: National Ability Center, Park City Mountain Resort