Squaw Valley continues to push forward on its rebranding process, as they announced over the weekend that they will be changing the name of the Squaw Creek Chairlift. Squaw Creek is a fixed-grip triple that services intermediate and advanced terrain from the base of the Resort at Squaw Creek. Rather than internally changing the name like they are doing with the resort, the mountain is asking for suggestions from the general public. Submission will be allowed from the public until August 15th. Finalists will be picked by the resort, and then voting on the finalists will be decided by the general public from August 20th to August 25th. Sadly, It looks like the person who suggests the new name will not win a prize for their contribution.
Here are the official rules of the contest:
- “Keep it short: chairlift names are usually three words or less. Keep in mind the chairlift name has to fit on signs and trail maps
- Keep it classy: we appreciate humor, but please refrain from any submissions that are offensive or inappropriate
- Be creative and feel free to provide some additional context. There is an optional space below to tell us the story behind your submission
- We will be recognizing the winner on social media. If multiple people submit the same name, we will credit the submission that was received first
- All submissions must be received by August 15, 2021
- You’ll have the chance to send us your vote for your favorite finalist August 20-25, 2021″
Last August, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows announced that they will be replacing their name due to a longstanding history of the usage of Squaw as a racist and sexist term against the Native American community. This change occurred following extensive conversations with the local Washoe tribe. A new name for the resort will be announced later this year. Another lift on the mountain contains the Squaw name: The Squaw One Express. It is not clear if this lift name will be changed too, or if it will be open to suggestions from the general public as well.
Click here to suggest a new name for the chairlift.