Sometimes known as the fool’s mushroom or destroying angel, the amanita bisporigera was spotted by mushroom expert Lazarus Bell in Aurora over the weekend.
The discovery marks the 9th time the deadly fungus has been found in Colorado. It attacks the liver with toxins and eating just one mushroom could be fatal. 9News reports symptoms are often delayed many hours after consumption making medical treatment futile. Also the Destroying Angel is deadly to pets so keep your dogs away if you spot one.
Colorado Mycologist Linnea Gillman suggests if you find a Destroying Angel, you pick the full shroom from the ground (do not eat but skin contact is not dangerous) digging up the roots to snag the cup-like sac that surrounds the base of the stem. There is a similar mushroom called the Sweater that is almost identical except for the lack of cup-like sacs around the base.
Please be careful and keep your dogs away from anything that looks like the Destroying Angels. Please share this with anyone who might come in contact.
images from wikipedia.org