SnowSports Industries of America (SIA) released their most recent Participation Report. The report give the industry a sense of the health of the ski business in the United States and aims to establish levels of activity and identify key trends in sports.
Highlights from the SIA Participation Report:
- The 2015/2016 season saw 11.6 million skiers and 7.6 million snowboarders hit the slopes.
- There were 8.2M people who consider themselves skiers or snowboarders but did not participate last season.
- One third of skiing and snowboarding women also participate in yoga.
- 59% snow sports participants are caucasian/white, non-hispanic
- About 28% of all snowboarders are kids (under 18).
- Females represented 38% of the snowboard participant base overall
Kelly Davis, Director of Research at SIA, says, “The SIA Participant Report is a detailed view of snow sports participation trends, participant demographic profiles, and differences between core participants and casual participants. The report includes detailed data on downhill skiers, snowboarders, cross country skiers, backcountry skiing and snowboarding and snowshoeing.” –
See more at: www.snowindustrynews.com