It’s back! Alpenglow Sports is gearing up for their second Winter Mountain Festival! The event lineup features introductory cross-country and backcountry ski clinics, guided tours, Olympic athletes, film, world-renowned avalanche experts and much more. It’s going to be another highlight to the winter season in Lake Tahoe, so have a look at the complete events schedule and map of locations online here, pick your favorite events, and sign up asap before they fill up.
Alpenglow Sports is thrilled to announce the second winter edition of the Alpenglow Mountain Festival. The nine-day festival in North Lake Tahoe is a celebration of human-powered mountain sports, events, clinics, equipment demonstrations, presentations, film and more. Geared toward beginner and intermediate winter recreation enthusiasts, the Alpenglow Mountain Festival will showcase some of the
best activities Lake Tahoe has to offer – Nordic skiing, backcountry skiing and splitboarding, snowshoeing and natural history events.
“We had overwhelmingly positive feedback from last year’s event, we’re grateful to the community and the brave souls who trusted us to help them venture into the unknown and
honored to do it again,” said Brendan Madigan, owner of Alpenglow Sports and founder of the Alpenglow Mountain Festival.
“We understand these sports can be intimidating to launch into, but everyone here is enthusiastic about helping aspiring adventurers bridge the gap between fear and passion.”
Driven by fun, community, health, education and the embodiment of the mountain lifestyle, the festival has been designed to inspire participants as they enjoy and explore North Lake Tahoe’s playground with friends and family.
The festival offers a range of activities that span daily ski and snowboard tours, winter adventure presentations, and natural history excursions for outdoor enthusiasts of all interests and ability levels. The majority of events are free, so space is limited and participants are encouraged to register online to secure spots and for the chance to win great giveaways from festival sponsors including Salomon, Clif Bar, Dynafit, Julbo, Marmot and more.
Festival highlights include but are not limited to:
• Guided backcountry ski and splitboard, snowshoe, and Nordic ski tours. The split tours will be with Julien Hanna, an amazing guide/practitioner, which are sponsored in conjunction with splitboard.com
• cross-country skills and waxing clinics
• Avalanche safety events with nationally-acclaimed forecaster Bruce Tremper
• The Cobblestone Relays, a cross-country relay through the heart of Tahoe City
• The Dynafit Nachtspektakel: A European-inspired ski-touring event and feast
• Natural history snowshoe tours
• Community Nordic ski with Olympian and Clif Bar Athlete Katerina Nash
• Winter Wildlands Alliance Backcountry Film Festival
• The Lake Tahoe Snow Bike Challenge (5k/10k/20k)
• Women’s-specific backcountry and Nordic events
• Winter sport-specific yoga
• AIARE-certified field and classroom avalanche clinics
• Tour stop with Backpacker and Powder Magazine’s “Get Out More Tour”
All photos by Josh Hejl
About Alpenglow Sports:
Alpenglow Sports is an original California Mountain Shop that has been providing locals and
tourists with inspiration, local knowledge and the best equipment to enjoy the great outdoors for
over thirty-five years. Based in Tahoe City, Alpenglow Sports takes pride in being communityminded
and socially and environmentally responsible to ensure Lake Tahoe stays one of the best
places to play, live, and visit in California.