Does This Bear Killing Seem Fair?
1. Convicted 2nd degree murderer, Rory Wagner, 54, dies of natural causes in his car on a remote logging road in Canadia.
2. A black bear finds his body, pulls him out of the car and eats some of him and buries some of him.
3. Hunters discovered the bear guarding the body.
4. Officials killed the bear citing that:
“bears remember food sources” – British Columbia Environment Minister Terry Lake
– Rory had been missing since May 23 when it was noticed that he hadn’t reported to his parole officer
– Rory pleaded guilty to 2nd degree murder in 1994, served his prison time, and had been released
– Police have stated that his death is not suspicious
– British Columbia Environment Minister Terry Lake said:
“the bear’s description [the one they killed] matched the description reported by the hunters.”
– The murder that Rory was convicted of was performed with two others and they killed someone whom they were convinced had sexually assaulted a family member. I’d certainly feel inclined to kill someone that did something like this to one of my family members…
THE BIG QUESTIONS:
1. Was this bear killing justified?
2. Would this bear eat another human, dead or alive?
3. Would you wanna kill someone who molested someone in your family?
4. Is it probable that the bear killed was the same bear that ate Rory?
black bear doesn’t look scary here…
BLACK BEAR FACTS:
– Can run 35mph
– Can swim up to 2 miles in fresh water
– There are 16 subspecies of black bear
– 50 to 80 inches long
– 90 to 500 pounds
– Live up to 30 years (or more in captivity)
– Have been in North America for 2.5 million years