Squaw Valley USA is closed for the 2011/12 season. Yesterday was the last day of the year. It was a fantastic day and there is plenty of snow up there. Despite a currently deep snowpack, this was the shortest ski season at Squaw in recent memory…
WHY SQUAW CLOSED EARLY:
– They closed because they didn’t make enough money this year
– Mammoth didn’t make any money either and they are open until AT LEAST May 31st, possibly longer
– What is KSL doing with that $50 million of Renaissance money? Can none be used for operations?
HOW LATE COULD THEY HAVE STAYED OPEN?
– Until May 31st, like they always used to
– They could keep Granite, Shirley, Mainline (Gold Coast), Links, & Cable Car open from May 1st – 31st
– They have plenty of snow up there with a 75” base currently up top
– Hell, even KT-22 could stay open another week or more right now
LAST SEASON WE HAD RECORD SNOW & …
– Squaw received 811” of snow last year (most ever recorded) & stopped daily operations on May 8th
– Clearly, if there was ever a year to go until May 31st, it was last year
– Alex Cushing’s Squaw Valley used stay OPEN until May 31st every season
WHAT DOES THIS SAY of FUTURE SPRING SKIING @
– It doesn’t look good
– Shouldn’t Squaw be staying open until May 31st every year and claiming “Spring Skiing Capital of the World”?