MAMMOTH CONDITIONS REPORT | The story-line of the week: “Don’t like the weather? Just wait a day (or an hour), it will change.” Point being, we’ve just about seen it all this week.
We had pow on Sunday/Monday, full on spring Tuesday/Wednesday, straight up winter Thursday, and a little bit of all-of-the-above Friday (today). Yesterday (Thursday) the weather really couldn’t make up it’s mind: one moment there’s a blizzard, turn around and next thing you know it’s clear right to the top of the Mountain.
Even though the Mountain only recorded 1” of fresh out of yesterday’s portrayal of Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde, I’d say many zones enjoyed the benefits of upwards of 6”. Temps held in check today, keeping the snow top-side fresh. And, the sunnier slopes down low started to soften nicely, reminding us that yes, it’s April, it is spring time.
- Today we had anywhere from 1-6” of fresh.
- Climax was rather popular today, for good reason. Surprisingly the old layer (underneath 4-6” of fresh) was not super-firm, as was the case with zones like Chair 3 and 5.
- Georgeous weather! True bluebird, temps in the high 30s-low 40s.
- Lower elevation runs, i.e. around Canyon and Juniper, started to soften up nicely around mid-day.
- The lower half of the Avy Chutes had surprisingly deep pockets of fresh. Getting to the good spots could get chattery and the entrances to Avy 2 & 3 are getting thin.
- Great day to be out on the hill, showing appreciation for your local patrollers on Ski Patrol Appreciation Day.
- Earlier this week MMSA declared that the Mountain will be open through Memorial Day Weekend, if not longer.
- Other than the very top of the mountain much of the off-piste riding would best be described as “dust on crust.”
- Hangman’s closed? I say we go with “ski at your own risk” and leave it at that.
- Backside was funky – we’ll need a good dose of sun to truly soften things up out there.
- Main only had one jump?! Park Crew mowed down the take-offs on the Super 4-Pack. Will they rebuild them tonight for this weekend?
- There’s a healthy amount of advanced jibs throughout upper Main.
- Forest Trail’s jump line has been reworked a bit – much improved. Also, beginners should really like the rebuilt mini jumps at the bottom-right of Forest.
- South Park is where it’s at. New this week are the s-box, step-up jump at mid-park, fresh set of jibs in the lower-left section and the bottom jump line is flowing well.
- Things have been mixed-up a touch in the Art Park… Just watch out for the mini jumps there – super easy to overshoot.
- New Snow: 1-6” of fresh from yesterday/last night.
- Base: approx. 7’
- Weather: Temps will be up into the 50s the next couple days which should make for some killer classic spring riding. If you plan to be up this weekend get ready to leave the extra layers behind and to have a good time.
- Conditions: Powder, dust on crust and spring velvet. Yes, there are a few straight up ice patches too.
- Lifts: All lifts except for Chair 20.
- Runs: 100% except they were compelled to close Hangman’s again. Hey, it’s very skiable I say.
Bottom line: Climax was great, groomers were good, most everything else was “dust on crust.” See all the blue in the photos above? There’ll be a lot more of that this weekend… I’m expecting some nice soft spring snow to go along with it.