This interview was conducted by The Ski Channel with Vail Co-President Blaise Carrig. There are definitely some tough questions to be asked about Vail’s acquisition of Kirkwood, but they weren’t asked.
1. What are Vail’s plans for infrastructure improvements at Kirkwood?
2. What are Vail’s plans for culinary improvements/additions at Kirkwood?
3. How many shops does Vail plan on adding to Kirkwood? What kind of shops?
4. Any on-mountain improvements in Vail’s plans for Kirkwood?
5. How is Vail planning to keep Kirkwood “cool & funky” and true to its history/core?
6. Has Rasta Stevie been consulted on your future handling of Kirkwood and it’s funkiness?
WHAT QUESTIONS WOULD YOU ASK VAIL CO-PRESIDENT BLASIE CARRIG???
Vail and Kirkwood only began negotiations last November/December. This deal went thru very quick which means that both parties were 100% ready-to-roll.
Here is an excerpt from The Ski Channel’s Interview with Vail Co-President Blaise Carrig:
This is huge news for the Reno/Lake Tahoe community, and brings all three of the region’s top mountain destinations under the Vail Resorts marquee. Heavenly was acquired back in March of 2002 and Northstar-Tahoe was incorporated into the family in October of 2010.
TSC: In summation, what does Kirkwood’s addition to Vail Resorts mean for the skiers and snowboarders?
BC: The key message is the vibe — -maintaining what Kirkwood is and respecting that, while helping to enhance it at the same time. We also intend to value to the lift ticket pricing proposition Kirkwood visitors have come to know and enjoy. In addition to retaining these lower price points and including the resort into our season pass program, we will actually have a Kirkwood-only season pass available for those that choose to go that route.
We are just getting the deal finalized now. Once we get in and start operating the resort for the remainder of the season, we will spend a lot of time talking to the Kirkwood team — as well as its guests — to determine a plan to address the resort’s needs and make the experience even better!
Please check out the full interview here: