As the window to kick off the World Heli Challenge has arrived many people involved are crossing their fingers. The weather in Mt. Aspiring National park appears to be currently delaying the comp and without clear visibility the helicopters will likely not fly.
Through Friday strong westerlies will bring snow above 700-1000m. The tail end of the storm is calling for wind gusts up to 120km/h mixed with precipitation.
By Friday night the storm should be clearing to bring mainly clear skies, which will get the fresh snow time to settle. Depending on the avalanche forecast, the comp could take place on Saturday or Sunday.
To check in on the action, go to worldhelichallenge.com.