Heads up if you’ve purchased a can of SABRE FRONTIERSMAN Bear Spray recently. They have issued a recall on units with both a yellow nozzle and one of the expiration dates 02/2024, 03/2024, 04/2024, 05/2024, 06/2024. If the unit matches both of those criteria they ask you test fire it and if doesn’t work to return it for a refund. Business Wire reports these products are being recalled because certain canisters may not spray upon depression of the discharge button posing a potential risk that the product may not discharge during a time of need. Press release below, recall update HERE:
FRONTIERSMAN Bear Spray Recall Update:
At SABRE, your safety is our #1 priority. We have issued a voluntary recall on some canisters. These canisters contain BOTH A YELLOW NOZZLE AND ONE OF THE FOLLOWING EXPIRATION DATES – 02/2024, 03/2024, 04/2024, 05/2024, 06/2024.
If your canister meets both these criteria, we are asking you to test fire your bear spray. This must be done outdoors away from people and pets. A video and instructions demonstrating the correct procedure for testing your bear spray can be found below.
HOW TO TEST YOUR BEAR SPRAY INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO:
HOW TO TEST YOUR BEAR SPRAY INSTRUCTIONS
- Go outside to a safe area away from others
- Place your forefinger through the hole in the handle with your thumb on the safety clip curl
- Pull the safety clip straight back on-off using your thumb (Figure 1)
- Point the canister approximately 45 degrees toward the ground in the downwind direction
- Depress the actuator tab lightly for a very quick burst of spray (Figure 2). If your canister sprays then it is not subject to the recall (see video below)
- Replace the safety clip by firmly pressing with your thumb until an audible “snap” is heard (Figure 3). No gap should be between the actuator and the safety clip
- Wipe the nozzle with a paper towel and discard the paper towel
If you do determine your canister does not spray, please return the canister to the retailer where originally purchased.
If purchased directly from SABRE please fill out the Authorization Form and email to Returns@SabreRed.com. Once we receive this completed form a customer support representative will email instructions on how to proceed with receiving your replacement unit(s).
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this matter, please contact SABRE directly at (800) 325-9568 or email CustomerSupport@SabreRed.com.