Featured Image Courtesy: Ralf Vetterle, SD-Pictures
Dave Ayers, a 36 year old ski instructor, tragically died in a mountain hut in Austria. It is believed that Ayers’ cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning from the cabin’s stove.
Ayers was not aware that the ventilation pipes in the hut had been sealed off, and the toxic fumes from the stove’s fire filled the cabin. His body was found on Tuesday, January 12th, 2021.
Tributes from Ayers friends have poured in since his passing. All quotes were obtained from the original article posted to Echo:
“Angelika Beck, another instructor who worked with Dave during the winter season in Brand in the mountain region of Vorarlberg said she wants to make sure his memory lives on in the area.
She said: “It has been hard to track Dave’s parents, so we will not be burying his body here in Brand for the time being. But we will make sure he is never ever forgotten and make a memorial to him. Perhaps a tree dedicated to him in the forest park where he worked in summer, or a plaque, or a cross on the slopes – we are working out the details.”
“Kai Salinger (friend) said: “Dave was full of kindness, generosity and humor, always laughing and making everyone smile. But very driven and professional too.”
Local Mayor, Klaus Bitschi said: “Dave’s work with the children in the climbing park was sensational. He was warm-hearted, and talented – always ready to help everyone. He will remain deep in our hearts.”
Our thoughts and condolences are with Dave Ayer’s family and friends.