“At Thredbo, we have harnessed the opportunity to lead our industry and our community toward a more sustainable future, today. Together with Red Energy and Snowy Hydro, we’re proud to be powering all our major resort operations with clean and renewable sources of energy, effective 1 July 2019. This is a positive addition to the long list of environmental initiatives that Thredbo takes pride in.”
Cheers to Thredbo Ski Resort in Austrailia for taking a such strong stance on using sustainable engergy for resort operations. Thredbo is collaborating with Red Energy, Snowy Hydro, Protect Our Winters (POW) and the surrounding community to minimize their enviromental impact while providing the best on mountain experience possible. This type of initiative should be industry standard and we tip our caps to Thredbo for leading the charge!
In collaboration with Red Energy, the resort has purchased 9 gigawatt hours of renewable energy per year, the equivalent to the electricity consumed by 1,500 average homes. This agreement goes a long way to preserving the backyard we love, for future generations.Thredbo understands caring for the environment is a team effort so in collaboration with Red Energy, Snowy Hydro, Protect Our Winters (POW) and the community we aim to protect the mountain and its surrounding environment we value so much.Thredbo is Australia’s first snow resort to have its major resort operations powered by renewable energy, setting a new benchmark for environmental sustainability within the snow industry and protecting our environment into the future.
Other Environmental Initiatives
- For ten years, Thredbo has partnered with Greenfleet to offset the operation emissions of the entire fleet of snow groomers and company vehicles. Guests can also contribute by purchasing a $4.00 tree when they buy their lift product. The tree is then planted regionally and will offset the emissions of their travel to the snow.
- Thredbo is a proud partner of Protect Our Winters (POW). POW is a passionate crew of snow enthusiasts who care about protecting the incredible winter environment. The goal through this partnership is to raise awareness of the issue of climate change and to continuous to improve Thredbo’s environmental performance.
- During winter 2018, Thredbo employees saved over 7,200 disposable cups from landfill by using reusable cups. You can purchase a reusable cup from Thredbo retail stores and Thredbo coffee outlets.
- Thredbo has now removed single use plastic bags from all Thredbo outlets as well as moving to biodegradable and commercially compostable packaging, cutlery and paper straws.
- All of Thredbo’s outlets are using LED lights as well as the Thredbo Alpine Hotel adding restrictors to all taps and shower heads to reduce flow volume. The installation of waterless urinals alone saves 500,000 litres of water per year.
- Each winter, Environmental Week is held in Thredbo to raise awareness of the amazing environment the resort is located within, together with the initiatives the resort has in place to protect it.