By -Magee Walker (and yes her Real name is Magee)
As a female resident of Whistler, I have experienced the art of the pick-up in a variety of scenarios. For those seeking a friend for the night, the bar or the bus ride home (#1 seems to be the most happening, in either direction) just might do the trick. For those seeking something with a little more substance (which is shockingly higher than I would have expected amongst the male population of Whistler), you need to look elsewhere.
One of the best places to find a lady is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU—the chairlift! Seven or so minutes of uninterrupted face time, with the potential to lead into a whole day of fun—it’s the modern day seven minutes in heaven. Here’s how you execute:
- There’s a bit of luck involved. Either you have to pick up a solo lady from the singles line, or you have to be in the singles line yourself and join the right group. Going in twos increases your chances (two singles to choose from—or possibly another deuce to join forces with). A perfect four ruins your chances, unless you’re sticking to Crystal.
- Once you have landed yourself on the right chair, take our your earbuds and engage in conversation. This is WAY EASIER and less cheesy than at a bar. “How’s your day going?”, “This snow is SICK!”, “How do you like your (insert specific piece of equipment)”… all are acceptable opening lines.
- Continue the conversation. A lift ride is the perfect amount of time to find out if someone is a local or visitor and to hear a bit of their story. If you like what you hear…
- … take it one step further. Propose to do the following run together. “Where are you heading? Sweet, I was heading that way as well. Want to do a lap?”. Super smooth.
- If the lap goes well, ski together all day! If your skill levels don’t align but you still see some future potential, say you have to meet your friend, but exchange numbers so that you can “ski again another time!”. If it goes dismally, bid her adieu and go your own way.
It’s a perfect opener. Chairlift love—boom. Make it happen.