NOAA: 100% of Washington is Currently In a Drought

NOAA: 100% of Washington is Currently In a Drought

Uncategorized

NOAA: 100% of Washington is Currently In a Drought

By

After a seriously dry winter season in 2014/2015, 68% of Washington state is experiencing extreme drought conditions while the remaining 32% is experiencing at the very least severe drought conditions.

This comes on the heels of a historic wildfire season that has seen over 8 million acres burned across the continental United States.

Also Read: Is Summer Skiing On Mt. Hood’s Palmer Snowfield Over For Good?
Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 10.48.03 AM

Still, wildfires are raging in Washington and while much of the west has seen above average snowfall for this time of year, Washington remains dried out and is in need of a serious low pressure system and accompanying precipitation to bring the wildfires to an end.

So far 1 million acres have been consumed by wildfires in eastern Washington

However, current El Niño predictions have the Pacific Northwest projected to receive lower than average accumulations this winter and that is cruel news for residents of the once “evergreen state.” If the current trend continues, the state should be renamed the “everbrown” or “ever-burning” state unfortunately.

Pray for Snow

More Unofficial Networks