The application deadline to host the 2022 Winter Olympics has come and gone and six cites have officially tossed their names into the hat.
Cities biding to host the 2022 games in alphabetical order:
1. Almaty (Kazakhstan)
2. Beijing (China)
3. Krakow (Poland)
4. Lviv (Ukraine)
5. Oslo (Norway)
6. Stockholm (Sweden)
* Munich (Germany), Barcelona (Spain) and Davos + St Moritz (Switzerland) expressed an interest but pulled out following a lack of public support.
Favorites: It is widely believed that since the 2018 Winter Games will be held in Pyeongchang, South Korea the 2022 games will be rewarded to one of the European cites who have made an official bid. Oslo, Norway has already been praised by the President of the International Ski Federation for their entry.
The following steeps with deadlines that each city will need to meet.
- Deadline for NOCs to submit an Applicant City – 14 November 2013
- Applicant City Seminar – Lausanne – 4-6 December 2013
- Sochi Olympic Winter Games Observer Programme – 7-23 February 2014
- Submission of the Application File – 14 March 2014
- Selection of Candidate Cities by the IOC – Executive Board – 8-9 July 2014
- Submission of the Candidature File & Guarantees – January 2015
- IOC Evaluation Commission visits – February – March 2015
- Evaluation Commission report / Candidate City Briefing for IOC Members – May – June 2015
- Election of the 2022 Host City by the IOC Session – Kuala Lumpur – 31 July 2015