Old buddy Tom Chapman has been told to go suck a D this week after the San Miguel County Board of Commissioners released historical info proving that the public can travel on trails crossing his land.
You may remember our post from last summer when Chapman put up ‘No Trespassing’ signs and threatened to have armed guards up in Bear Creek? Well the County Commissioners went through old meeting minutes dating back to 1879 when the trail system in Bear Creek was created and have “compiled evidence showing that the trails have been in use by the public for more than 20 years, thus making them public by virtue.”
Chapman’s Gold Hill Development Company has been issued a letter from the County Commissioners stating “to immediately cease all efforts to prohibit public use of the Wasatch and East Fork trails in Upper Bear Creek and remove all obstructions and “No Trespassing” signs from their property.”
This is a huge move by the County Commissioners doing the right thing in both battling this ass hole and protecting the public rights of San Miguel County residents and visitors alike. Huge thanks to all involved in making this happen! While this issue is far from over, we can chalk this up as a small victory for the good guys.
Chapman’s GHDC is still suing Telski over usage rights of the See Forever ski trail and summer maintenance road, the hearing is set for this August.
Info and quotes have been taken from the Telluride Daily Planet’s article which can be read HERE.