Today was fun at Squaw. The sun came out, warmed up the snow, and quite a few zones were good.
What’s great about Squaw is that there is ALWAYS something fun. It might take a while to find it, but that time spent hunting for good snow is also fun.
Best Zones Found Today at Squaw:
– Sun Bowl = very slushy, bumpy, and fun
– Granite Chief = between the two “groomers” was fun, convoluted terrain, winter and spring snow, great for laps
– The Funnel = didn’t look like it was good, but was chalky and fun
– Cornice II Bowl = bumpy but very chalky and dare I say even powdery for a coupla turns…
– Gold Coast Terrain Park = two good table top jumps and a crazy fun mountain bike style pump course
– The Palisades = always a nice hike, a great view, a cool breeze, and National is chalky and even kinda gnarly
– North Bowl = skier’s left is chalky and soft…skier’s right is straight up ski mountaineering with nothing but rock and ice…we recommend skier’s left
– Mountain Run = early it was fast, fun, and has lots of little hits…later on it was crowded, slushy and slow
FORECAST FOR THIS WEEKEND:
– Saturday = Mostly sunny, with a high near 51. Southwest wind around 15 mph.
– Saturday Night = A slight chance of rain and snow showers after 10pm. Snow level 7400 feet lowering to 6300 feet. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
– Sunday = A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40. Breezy, with a west wind between 15 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
Thus, Saturday looks like it’ll be a carbon copy of today which was damn fun. Sunday is lookin’ iffy, at best. A high of only 40 isn’t going to allow the snow to soften up enough after a cool Saturday night.
Get here and ski Saturday.