A toxicology report recently revealed that two moose calves found dead in a backyard in Silverthorne, Colorado, backyard in March were unintentionally poisoned by decorative yew plants. Both moose, one male and one female, were quite thin when found, and though that’s not entirely uncommon during the winter, their weight likely made the toxic plant even more harmful.
The homeowner who planted the yew plants is not in any sort of trouble, but Colorado Parks and Wildlife is hoping this incident will show people why it’s important to be mindful of what you’re planting and how accessible it is to wildlife.
“I think it is a good reminder, decorations in general, non-native plants, fake plants, things like that, we always need to be cautious about having them outside especially if they are in reach of our animals.” – Rachel Gonzales of Northwest Parks and Wildlife, to CBS Denver
Image Credit: CBS Denver on YouTube