Snow Magazine brings us a look at the “World’s 10 Biggest Ski Areas” according to new measurements by Christophe Schrahe.
“It ought to be pretty easy to determine the biggest ski areas in the world, but until recently the measurements resorts use to promote the amount of skiing they offer have varied and invariably veer in favour of the biggest possible figure.
Recently, however, Swiss writer Christophe Schrahe has re-measured the runs of the world’s major ski resorts using digital techniques and come up with what can – for now – be called a pretty definitive list. So, read on – and be assured that if you can’t find the skiing you’re looking for in one or more of the following resorts it may be time to hang up your skis” – snowmagazine.com
THE WORLD’S TEN BIGGEST SKI AREAS
1. Les Trois Vallées, France – 493km
2. Portes du Soleil, France/Switzerland – 426km
3. Paradiski (La Plagne/Les Arcs), France – 378km
4. Sella Ronda, Italy – 374km
5. Zermatt-Cervinia, Switzerland/Italy – 252km
6. Whistler-Blackcomb, British Columbia – 252km
7. Milky Way, France/Italy – 251km
8. SkiWelt, Austria – 240km
9. L’Espace Killy (Tignes/Val d’Isere) , France – 232km
10. Vail, Colorado – 222km