It is of with sadness for Unofficial to report two Tahoe area deaths that occurred this weekend.
Sierra at Tahoe Death:
– Skier from Gold River (Sacramento County) named Yiwei Hu aged 54
– Tragedy occurred Sunday at Sierra at Tahoe resort
– Skier fell into deep hole created by water flow beneath the snow
– Accident occurred in expert terrain
– Found at 1:45pm at the scene and was presumed dead
– 51-year-old Reno Male, Scott Fritz
– Ski accident occurred on Thursday.
– Injury on the East Ridge trail located in the Mt. Pluto area.
– Died as a result of his injuries, was wearing a helmet at the time of his injury, according to Northstar.
– Few details are known as to the exact cause of death. No one witnessed the accident, and Fritz “most likely” struck a tree.
China Peak Mountain Resort Death:
– Male snowboarder, aged 30, not yet named
– Found in snow, suffocated
– Found in advanced terrain
– Fell head first into deep snow and could not dig himself out.
TAHOE SNOWFALL THIS WEEK:
– 97″ fallen through course of storm
– Sunday snow conditions consisted of deep and light powder
– Heightened avalanche danger throughout Tahoe.