Is the snow good at Mammoth? Yes. Actually, the snow’s great right now. We’ve seen five days straight of snowfall. Granted, it’s been a few inches here, a few inches there, yet some how each day has presented fresh tracks, and many face-shot opportunities.
So, the skiing and snowboarding has been great all week, but you haven’t been here. Yet, like many others (with it being a holiday), you have plans to be in Mammoth for the coming week-end. In that case, here’s the outlook for conditions for the days to come…
With temps holding low and the wind coming out of the West I anticipate the snow to be as good as ever. Due to these factors and the fact that the mountain has received approximately 3’ of new snow in the past week, you should be pleased with what you’ll find. Now as far as crowds and lift-lines go, that may be an entirely different story… The Mountain is in full operation (all lifts a go) so that is certainly going to help.
- The Mountain is reporting 26.5” of new snow over the last 5 days. To me is seems as though there was more than that.
- Like fresh, real, mid-winter snow groomed into perfect corduroy? You’ll love it this week-end… Just be sure to get on the hill early because you’re not the only one.
- New snow, cold temps and a West wind is a great recipe for some wind buff.
- I wouldn’t say 100% of Mammoth’s rideable terrain is open but it’s getting really close to that.
- All lifts should be in operation this week-end.
- Coming up for the week-end? You’re not alone; this should be a busy one. 1) It’s a holiday. 2) I think word is getting around that conditions have been great. Some chairs will probably have awful lines, some won’t have any at all. Whatever transpires just enjoy the fact that you’re in the mountains, breathing fresh air and skiing/snowboarding/telemarking/whatever.
- Off and on we’ve seen a fair bit of wind from the North. Hence why the upper ridge of the mountain is being continually scoured; this condition persists. Be aware, there’s a way to get into nearly every line yet some are still pretty sketchy.
- Off-piste riding is really good right now but there are still many obstacles waiting for you to find ‘em. I’ve found plenty myself. Be on the look-out.
- There may be some snow in the forecast for Saturday. For me, this is a positive. The only downside is there may be a touch more wind because of it. Again, for me, this is a positive.
- The Unbound Park Staff has been quick to get all parks re-built in the wake of recent snowfall; everything is looking great right now.
- The Nike Chosen Tour takes to Mammoth on Saturday. Big Air Comp at 2pm, Rail Jam starts at 5pm – all going down at Main Park. Should be a good show, I don’t want to miss this.
- The Super Pipe is still closed for reconstruction.
- New Snow: 3” in the past 24 hours, approx. 3’ in the past week.
- Base: approx. 4-5’.
- Weather: Cool temps and a West wind are forecasted for the next couple days – keep an eye out for wind-buff.
- Conditions: Powder, packed powder.
- Lifts: All lifts, except 20 today. I expect 20 will also be in operation for the busy week-end.
- Runs: Pretty much the entire mountain is open, with the exception of some of the gnarliest terrain, i.e. Hangman’s Hollow, Top of the World, Huevos Grande and MJB’s.
Bottom line: Conditions have come so far in the last few weeks that the slow, dry start to the season is becoming a distant memory.