1st hand reports from Valle Nevado, Las Leñas, Bariloche, and Chillan.
The Northern Andes (Las Leñas, Valle Nevado, Portillo) just got a dusting of wet snow and it’s cold today. Sounds like it’s mank on crust. The Northern Andes forecast is for SUPER HIGH temps and no snow for the next week.
The Southern Andes (Bariloche) are experiencing a crazy windy, warm storm right now that is supposed to get colder overnite and continue through Sunday with 42 cms forecasted. Warming likely to set in by Tuesday.
It looks like Spring is setting into the Andes next week…
– Snowfall mid-mountain last 12hrs: 0 cms
– Current Conditions: Raining almost to the top of the mountain with 140km/hr winds. Mt. is basically closed today.
– Forecast: 42cm in next 3 days.
Santa Rosa Storm tree skiing on September 9th, 2011 at Catedral in Bariloche.
– Snowpack at base: 1 m (what they’ve been saying for WEEKS!)
– Snowpack mid-mountain: 1.1 m (what they’ve been saying for WEEKS!)
– Snowpack on summit: 1.5 m (what they’ve been saying for WEEKS!)
– Current Conditions from Tod Davis then Tim Konrad on September 9th, 2011:
Here in Las Lenas now and its raining…waaah. -Tod
Las Lenas was still holding snow top to bottom but the vast majority of the killer terrain is wind scoured from the past few days of consistent high winds.Despite the high winds the resort has somehow been able to keep the Marte chair spinning but are not allowing anyone to access the terrain outside of the gates. So even though the chair is spinning there is not much terrain that can be accessed. Glad to have just arrived in Bariloche. -Tim
Video from the best week of the year at Las Leñas. August 21st, 2011.
– Snowpack: 50 cm (This hasn’t changed for WEEKS)
– Total season snowfall: 322 cm
– Snowfall in past 24 hrs: 5 cm
– Snowfall in past 48 hrs: 5 cm
– Current Conditions Update from Chopo Diaz:
It just snow las night a very wet layer of 10 cm, it is very heavy snow and sticky. Today was cloudy and warm, tomorrow it will be sunny and very warm.
– Forecast: Sun and HEAT after today for the next week.
– Total snowfall this season: 482 cms
– Snowpack at hotel: 115 cms
– Snowfall last 7 days: 16 cms
– Snowfall last 24 hrs: 15 cms
– No Webcam
– Current Conditions: mank on crust, windy, light snow, low visibility.
– Dusting of snow today followed by a week of sun and high temps.
Stock photo of Portillo, Chile. photo: onthesnow.com
Snowpack at base: 2.6 meters
Snowpack at Summit: 6.87 meters
– No Webcam
– Current Conditions & photo from Claire Smallwood on September 8th, 2011:
This is an incredible season in Chillan. There is so much snow that they have to dig out the Otto chairlift in several different towers whenever it snows. The protected areas between volcanos seem to always be holding some nice pow and the entire resort has incredible coverage. Absolutely no rocks (that you don’t want to be there) and smooth, lunar-scape skiing. There are also no people here, which is an added bonus. Cheaper tickets ($20,000 pesos) are Sunday-Wednesday…Otherwise it’s 30,000 pesos ($60). More snow on the way right now!
– Forecast: Dusting of snow with high winds today, then DAMN HOT for rest of week.