“I kind of went in slow motion and I think I tripped over my own foot and just landed in a kind of… in a bush. And I just saw it and then I just felt a sudden sting.” -Ethan Vogel
Well wishes going out to 11-year-old Ethan Vogel who is recovering after getting bitten on the chest by a large rattlesnake while mountain biking in Golden, Colorado.
CBS reports Ethan and his dad, Zach Vogel, were out for ride on Tuesday evening when Ethan hit a rock and landed in bush. Ethan felt a sting on his chest and when he popped back up to the trail his dad notice a blood stain on his shirt. His dad then heard a rattle, observed the snake, put two and two together and phone 911 straight away:
“My mission was just to keep his heart rate down and to keep him comfortable. So, I knew that we couldn’t move.” –Zach Vogel
At that point it was a waiting game until help arrived 19 minutes later. On the way to the hospital Ethan’s heart rate spiked to 177. When he arrived to hildren’s Hospital Colorado he was administered 16 vials of antivenom and stabilized.
Just a few days after getting bitten by a rattler, Ethan is back home and back on his bike. Tough little kid, we’re wishing him a speedy full recovery. Find a compete guideline on what to do and what not to do if bitten by a rattlesnake by Colorado Park & Wildlife below ⬇️
Colorado Parks & Wildlife Guide To WHAT To DO IF BITTEN BY A RATTLESNAKE:
If the snake is still in the vicinity, move carefully away to a safe location. Find a place where the victim can lie flat and rest comfortably.
Encourage the victim to remain calm and offer reassurance. Encourage others in the group and yourself to remain calm as well.
If in a group, send one member to notify local emergency staff and the nearest hospital. DO NOT leave the victim alone in order to get help. Carry a cell phone with you while you recreate.
Allow the bite to bleed freely for about 30 seconds.
Cleanse and disinfect the bite area with Betadine (iodine). If unavailable or if the victim is allergic to iodine, use soap and water.
If hospital treatment is more than 30 minutes away, and the bite is on a hand, finger, foot or lower arm or leg, an ACE, or other wide elastic bandage can be used as a pressure dressing. The bandage should be wrapped quickly from an area just above the bite past the knee or elbow joint, immobilizing it. Wrap no tighter than for a sprain. The goal is to restrict the movement of venom into the bloodstream without cutting off circulation to the affected limb. Check for pulse above and below bandage and rewrap if too tight.
If available, apply a Sawyer Extractor to the bite until there is no more drainage. This device is often able to remove some venom from the wound and creates a negative pressure gradient that slows the spread of venom into the body. (This is a very beneficial device recommended by the Rocky Mountain Poison Control Center and experts in medical herpetology.)
If an extractor is not available, apply direct pressure to the bite using a 4×4 gauze pad folded in half twice. Soak the pad in Betadine and tape it in place.
Remove all rings, watches, jewelry and tight fitting clothing. The bite area and most of the bitten appendage will swell.
Immobilize the bitten extremity as much as possible, using splints if necessary.
Try to keep the bite location even with the heart. Raising it above the heart will increase the spread of venom into the body. Swelling will increase if kept below heart level.
After administering first aid, take the victim to the nearest hospital or medical facility. Move slowly and deliberately, offer encouragement and avoid any unnecessary excitement or stress.
If not done previously, get someone to call ahead to the nearest hospital so that it will be prepared for the victim’s arrival.
What NOT to do if bitten by a rattlesnake:
Do not assume that a bite is not serious or that treatment can be delayed.
Do not leave the victim alone in order to get help.
Do not apply oral (mouth) suction to the bite. Such action has the potential to introduce harmful bacteria into the wound that could cause sepsis. Also, venom will pass into the would-be-rescuers system through any cuts or sores in the mouth.
Do not make any sort of incision into or around the bite marks. This will only increase trauma to the bite location and further agitate a victim who needs to remain as calm as possible.
Do not apply a narrow, constrictive tourniquet such as a belt, shoelace or cord. Restricting blood flow in this manner puts the bitten extremity at a high risk for amputation.
Do not engage in strenuous physical activity. This will only speed the spread of venom to vital organs.
Do not apply ice, hot or cold packs to the bite. These have no proven beneficial effects and may compound tissue damage through burns or frostbite.
Do not use a stun gun or electric shock treatment of any kind. Electric shock also has no proven beneficial effect and increases victim stress and trauma.
Do not allow the victim to drink alcohol, take aspirin or use any medication.
Do not give the victim anything to eat or drink unless approved by the attending physician.
Do not remove pressure dressings until antivenom is available.
Do not waste time or take any additional risks attempting to kill or capture the offending snake. The only wild venomous snakes in Colorado are rattlesnakes and treatment is the same for all three species (prairie rattlesnake, the Western rattlesnake that is also known as the midget-faded rattlesnake and the massasauga rattlesnake).