Anybody else wish this hellish year for wildfires was over already?

Officials believe that a wildfire in Parleys Canyon off I-80 east of Salt Lake City, UT was sparked by a faulty catalytic converter on Saturday. The blaze quickly grew spread to over 1,500 acres prompting mandatory evacuations for residents of Pinebrook, Timberline, and Summit Park areas.

The American Red Cross has set up a shelter area for those affected by the wildfire at nearby Park City High School. It’s believed that between 6,000 and 8,000 homes are at risk.

I grew up on the east coast where annual car inspections are a staple, and I still can’t believe how many states don’t require any form of inspection. I’m not saying that an inspection would have absolutely prevented this car’s catalytic converter from starting a massive fire, but it definitely could have, right?

Here’s to hoping the brave men and women fighting the Parleys Canyon fire are able to control it and prevent things from getting worse.

Unofficial Networks Newsletter

Get the latest snow and mountain lifestyle news and entertainment delivered to your inbox.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.