[Cover Photo: Robert Tadlock]
“Blizzard like conditions are expected in the San Juan mountains at elevations above 9000 feet where the strongest winds are likely to occur.” – NWS Grand Junction
The Southwest corner is currently under a Winter Storm Warning with localized areas forecasted to receive upwards of 20″ by Monday morning. The snowfall is much needed and Telluride should see a great conditions for opening day, which is this Friday, December 2nd.
Winter Storm Warning
…WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 AM MST MONDAY…
* LOCATIONS INCLUDE THE CITIES OF…CRESTED BUTTE…TAYLOR PARK…MARBLE…TELLURIDE…OURAY…LAKE CITY…SILVERTON…RICO… HESPERUS.
* TIMING…SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW WILL BEGIN LATE TONIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH EARLY SUNDAY MORNING. THE HEAVIEST SNOW IS EXPECTED BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND NOON SUNDAY. PERIODS OF LIGHT SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT.
* SNOW ACCUMULATION…10 TO 20 INCHES WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS.
* WINDS…SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH ABOVE 9000 FEET.
* IMPACTS…DRIFTING SNOW AND NEAR WHITEOUT CONDITIONS IN HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW. TRAVEL…ESPECIALLY OVER MOLAS…COAL BANK…AND RED MOUNTAIN PASSES…WILL LIKELY BE EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS OR NOT POSSIBLE. NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OVER THESE HIGH PASSES BETWEEN 2AM AND 8AM SUNDAY.