The Tahoe region is under a blizzard warning through Wednesday morning. The latest winter storm to impact Tahoe will drop large quantities of snow and will bring with it hurricane force winds. Stay Safe Out There!
“A Blizzard Warning has been issued for the Sierra through Wednesday morning. Dangerous and potentially life threatening blizzard conditions are possible in the Sierra. See latest statement: http://go.usa.gov/x9QDg
Multiple feet of snowfall are expected. Strong winds will produce zero visibility in whiteout conditions along with high drifting snow. Do not attempt to travel as first responders may not be able to rescue you.
Travel may already be impossible with several road closures due to heavy snow already being reported. Even a short walk could be deadly if you become disoriented. Avalanche danger will remain high through this storm. Stay home, stay safe!” – NOAA
Snow Forecast: NOAA: 8 Feet of Snow Forecasted For Tahoe By Thursday
Here’s the latest road conditions around the region. Travel in the Sierra is extremely dangerous today! Numerous road closures and white-out road conditions reported. Blizzard Warning remains in effect today.
URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE…
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV
351 AM PST TUE JAN 10 2017
GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA:
…BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM PST WEDNESDAY….
* TIMING: DANGEROUS BLIZZARD CONDITIONS DUE TO HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL CONTINUE TODAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING. PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING: 5 TO 10 FEET ABOVE 7000 FEET WITH 3 TO 7 FEET AT LAKE TAHOE LEVEL.
* WINDS: SOUTHWEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING. SIERRA RIDGE GUSTS OVER 100 MPH.
* SNOW LEVELS: BELOW LAKE LEVEL…MAY BRIEFLY RISE TO 6500 FEET THIS AFTERNOON BEFORE FALLING AGAIN.
* IMPACTS: DANGEROUS LIFE THREATENING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY WILL EXIST FOR TRAVEL AND OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES WITH HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATION ON ALL SIERRA ROADS.