The ski season in the Sierras is officially in swing with 9 resorts open for the Thanksgiving weekend. With another storm system on the way (up to 2 feet at elevation), conditions in Nor Cal are shaping up beautifully:
A Pacific frontal system will bring significant precipitation to Norcal Saturday. Snow will begin over the Sierra Cascade Crest First, north of Interstate 80 in the morning then spread south in the afternoon. Relatively low snow levels are expected and this will likely impact holiday travel through at least mid day Sunday. In addition to the snow. Breezy to gusty winds may cause White out conditions at times.
Winter Storm Warning in effect from 10 AM Saturday to 10 AM PST Sunday.
The National Weather Service in Sacramento has issued a Winter Storm Warning for snow, which is in effect from 10 AM Saturday to 10 AM PST Sunday. The Winter Weather Advisory is no longer in effect.
- Main impact: slippery roads, chain controls, low visibility.
- Timing: snowfall beginning Saturday afternoon and continuing through mid day Sunday.
- Locations: the west slope of the northern Sierra including Blue Canyon and Donner Summit on Interstate 80 and Echo Summit on Highway 50.
- Snow accumulations: 8 to 12 inches up to 2 feet highest elevations.
- Other impacts: breezy to gusty winds with possible White out conditions at times