While Bryan Allegretto from OpenSnow looks into how this October stacks up historically, Lake Tahoe’s most trusted weatherman believes this month is likely one of the most precipitous for California in the last 50 years.
Needless to say, this Halloween weekend forecast isn’t hurting his cause as NOAA is currently forecasting huge snow totals for Mt Shasta, Lassen Peak, and Carson Pass.
“The second system will move through on Sunday. This is a colder system and will bring lower snow levels impacting the Sierra passes with several inches of snow. This will be the first significant snowfall event of this winter season so don’t be caught off guard.” – NWS Sacramento
Massive snowfall and heavy rain could cause flooding in low lying areas and local officials are warning residents to take precaution before the heavy stuff comes down on Friday night.
*Time to get the winter tires on the car…
Forecasted Snowfall Totals
- Mount Shasta – 84″
- Lassen Peak – 30″
- Carson Pass – 18″
- Donner Pass – 12″
- Tioga Pass – 12″
Carson Pass 5 Day Forecast
Winter Storm Watch (Lassen Peak + Tahoe)
…WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING…
.A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL DROP SOUTHWARD OUT OF THE GULF OF ALASKA AND THROUGH NORCAL LATE SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY. THIS COLDER WEATHER SYSTEM WILL DROP SNOW LEVELS DOWN TO NEAR 6000 FEET BY SUNDAY MORNING. THIS WILL BE LOW ENOUGH TO BRING SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL TO THE MAJOR SIERRA PASSES FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS WINTER SEASON. GUSTY WINDS ARE ALSO LIKELY ON SUNDAY COMPOUNDING THE SIERRA TRAVEL IMPACTS.
* MAIN IMPACTS: SLICK ROADS DUE TO SNOW. UNPREPARED TRAVELERS MAY EXPERIENCE VERY LONG DELAYS. CHAIN RESTRICTIONS PROBABLE.
* OTHER IMPACTS…WINDS GUSTING TO 50 MPH THROUGH THE PASSES COULD CAUSE POOR VISIBILITY AND DIFFICULTY DRIVING.
* TIMING…LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING…HEAVIEST SUNDAY AFTERNOON.
* LOCATIONS…SIERRA NEVADA PASSES AND LASSEN PARK ABOVE 6000 FEET.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS…6 TO 12 INCHES OVER SIERRA PASSES. 1 TO 2 FEET OF SNOW ABOVE 7000 FEET AND OVER LASSEN PARK.