Top 10 Warren Miller Quotes
With heavy hearts, we must announce the passing of skiing’s most iconic filmmaker and voice, Warren Miller. Miller died in his home on Washington’s Orcas Island. Keep Reading…
1. “If you don’t do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.”
2. “If at first, you don’t succeed, failure may be your thing.”
3. “People weren’t made to fly, that’s why we make kickers.”
4. “The best thing about skiing backward is you can see where you’ve been.”
5. “On the other hand, you have different fingers.”
6. “Don’t take life too seriously, because you can’t come out of it alive.”
7. “They say its always darkest before the dawn. So if you’re going to steal your neighbor’s newspaper… that’s the time to do it.”
8. “If your parents didn’t have children, odds are you won’t either.”
9. “Twin tip skis have insured that today’s skiers can ride backward, as much as they can forwards, why they want to do that? I don’t know…..”
10. “Never eat in a restaurant that has a bowling trophy on the cash register.” – Warren Miller
The Life of Warren Miller
Warren Miller was born on October 15, 1924; throughout his childhood he spent his time skiing in the winter, surfing in the summer, as well as fooling around with a camera taking photographs. His childhood passions would allow for Warren Miller to make a career out of his passions. At the age of eighteen, Warren joined the U.S. Navy, which would only last until 1946 when Miller was discharged. When he was discharged from the Navy, he bought his first eight millimeter camera and started to build his empire whether he knew it or not. Warren and some friends moved to Sun Valley, Idaho where they lived in a trailer in the parking lot of the town’s ski resort. There Warren Miller would make a living by giving ski lessons during the day while documenting and critiquing each other when they were not working as ski instructors.
In 1949, Warren Miller decided to capitalize on his hobbies and passions by collecting all the ski footage and narrating the films to the tune of his voice. He created Warren Miller Entertainment, which would produce extreme skiing movies in which professional skiers and snowboarders travel across the world to ski the most premier mountains. Since 1950, the Warren Miller Company has produced one documentary peryear. Warren Miller would take the films that he made, traveling from ski resort to ski resort; renting out town hall to screen the ski films during the evening. During the daytime the Warren Miller crew would adventure out on to the mountain with their cameras rolling to capture new footage for next year’s documentary. From the years 1950 to 2008 Warren Miller Entertainment has produced a total of 59 extreme sport documentaries, which have shown that the impossible is yet to be discovered. Warren Miller documentaries give an inside view into the world of extreme sports, the films are narrated with witty humor, and have an endless line up of talented professional skiers and snowboarders.