The free course is marketed as either a precursor to an Avy 1 or a refresher for those who’ve previously taken a course. Most notably, they’ve reorganized the step-by-step process to evaluating avalanche risk.
The course is 100% free to the public!
While it’s almost identical to AIAIRE standards, we think this is the perfect avenue for the layman to get out in the backcountry without being completely overwhelmed.
The course is broken down into 5 parts:
- Get the gear – Equipment you need to safely travel in avalanche terrain.
- Get the training – Learn how avalanches work and how you can avoid them
- Get the forecast – Learn to understand your local avalanche forecast in order to guide decision-making in the backcountry
- Get the picture – Recognize the clues of what makes something ‘avalanche prone’
- Get out of harm’s way – Understand the when, where, and why of appropriate safe zones.