Image from Weather.com
Winter storm Jonas will be barreling up the East Coast over the next few days bringing with it blizzard conditions and feet of snow across 15 states. Heavy snow is expected to affect over 73 million americans who are covered by either a blizzard watch, winter storm watch, winter storm warning, winter weather advisory, or freezing rain advisory. Blizzard conditions are possible over parts of the Washington D.C., Baltimore and New York City metro areas.
Sharp snowfall gradient: There remains considerable uncertainty regarding snow amounts on the northern edge of Jonas’ snow shield from Pennsylvania to southern New England. These areas could see snowfall exceeding 6 inches, but confidence is not as high as areas just to the south. – Wether.com
The Bad News: Many of the mountains to the north in New England and the Adirondacks will see small amounts of snowfalls out of this coastal storm.
The Good News: Ski areas like Snowshoe, WV are about to get walloped.
Winter Storm Warning for Snowshoe
* HAZARD…HEAVY SNOW. MAY MIX WITH SLEET FRIDAY. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW…ESPECIALLY ACROSS EXPOSED HIGH TERRAIN.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS…18 TO 24 INCHES.
* TIMING…DEVELOPING LATE FRIDAY MORNING OR MIDDAY. DIMINISHING SATURDAY EVENING.
* IMPACTS…IMPASSIBLE ROADS…FALLEN TREES…POWER OUTAGES.
* WINDS…GUSTS 25 TO 35 MPH…MAINLY ACROSS HIGH TERRAIN.
A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL…KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT… FOOD…AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.