Many believe that nature has ways of revealing signs of a harsh winter ahead. With keen observations of the environment, one can predict the severity of the approaching winter. Here are 10 classic signs that might tip the hand of Mother Nature.
10 Signs of A Snowy Winter Ahead:
- Thicker than normal corn husks
- Woodpeckers sharing a tree
- Early arrival of the Snowy owl
- Early departure of geese and ducks
- Early migration of the Monarch butterfly
- Spiders spinning larger than usual webs and entering the house in great numbers
- Pigs gathering sticks
- Unusual abundance of acorns
- Narrow orange band in the middle of the Woollybear caterpillar warns of heavy snow; fat and fuzzy caterpillars presage bitter cold
- Frequent halos or rings around sun or moon forecast numerous snow falls.