It happens to all of us. Being out there every day in the mountain environment, shredding pow, bagging peaks, first descents, growing our beards… But even the invincible mountain man sometimes gets a cold. And when we get sick, ladies, we get MAN SICK. Which is kinda like end-of-the-world sick.
So for all of you supportive, loving girlfriends and wives of burly mountain men, here are some tips in how to deal with us when we can’t get off the couch:
– Be present. Don’t leave the house and by god don’t judge us. We’re in dire straits here
– Have some homemade soup, baked goods and hot tea ready to go. Maybe even have an emergency cupboard with said items in stock ahead of time.
– Sometimes, if we can’t sleep, sex can help us relax and boost our immune system
– Remember what we’re dealing with: being MANSICK is hard, and while you can’t understand, you can sympathize with our suffering.
– Drinking beer and watching the playoffs only makes things better
– A real Hot Toddy has THREE shots of single malt scotch in it
– If it’s a pow day, stay home with us. Suffering with us is supporting us
– You have a cold too? Best to hide that. Guilt has a way of bringing on sinus congestion
– Smoking pot can cure the Man Cold, ok?
– Having your girlfriends over for a hot tub/massage party is perfect for relaxing those achy muscles of ours
– Wear a nurse’s uniform. It will help us visualize getting better
– When we’re sick, not even famine in Africa compares to what we’re going through so please don’t tell us we’re being ungrateful
So with those top tips in mind, when your mountain man goes down for the count, remember that he’s dealing with a potentially life threatening illness. Do not under-estimate the MAN COLD. Be kind, offer foot rubs and massages and never forget that being a hardcore, burly mountain man is a tough gig, and your man needs a supportive, calm woman to help him get through this difficult time.
For more information check out this informative video on being mansick