The North Face gives us a good lesson and reminders on how, what, and why we need to be educated on snow science. Learn about local snowpack, practice, and never stop learning and observing. Check out Mt. Baker’s Backcountry policy. Be aware, ski within your abilities and be safe!
|If you leave the ski area boundary into the backcountry or re-enter the ski area from the backcountry, you must have all of the following or you will lose your ski area privileges:|
|1. Avalanche transceiver and demonstrated ability to use it
2. A partner
4. Knowledge of the terrain and your ability
5. Avalanche knowledge
6. Knowledge of local avalanche conditions;
• know this winter’s snowpack layers
• know the recent snowfall & type
• know current NWAC forecast
• know today’s weather forecast (snowfall, temperature & visibility)Probes and Handi-com radios are recommended.