Deeper Update

Deeper Update


Deeper Update



Upon getting to the first of a few ridges I would cross, I got on the radio, and was barely able to connect with the crew.  What I heard was, "We're about to drop in, but you're still about 5 hours away!"  Realizing that I probably would get there after the sunlight had already passed over the face, and knowing that NOAA had issued a special weather statement for the following day, I trudged on with the hope that I'd get to at least ride one line and get one shot.  


When I got close to the face they were riding it was evident that most of the lines on the face were out of the sunlight, and a broken radio conversation confirmed that they were on their way back to camp (I had passed camp a few hours prior).  They quickly caught me on their split boards and we continued along on the way back to camp.  It sounded like they had had an awesome day on a super sick face and I can't wait to see the footage!  We stopped at a wave-like feature that came a few hundred feet down the slope as the sun was going down, and quickly rushed to the top to shred the wave.  A bit slower on the snowshoes, I was the last to drop in, barely got my run in before the sun was all the way down, and was stoked to have done so!  I hope the shot worked out.

Going to sleep with a sky full of stars and absent of clouds, the alarms were set for 04:30 in order to get to the top of another super sick face.  When I woke up, it felt much later than 4:30, and there didn't seem to be too much of a hurry outside the tent.  The storm had come earlier than we'd expected, so we packed back up and headed out in the middle of a pretty decent storm.

I got to rest the next day, which means I rode Squaw pow from the previous day's storm all day long (Helmet cam footage HERE)!  But I got "the call" that evening, and the plan was to meet at 03:30 to head back to the zone we got stormed out of a couple days prior.  I picked up a Jones Snowboards Solution from Jeremy and was all set to go (it's extremely sick by the way!).  So, around 5 am we started skinning (A few people forgot to adjust their clocks for daylight savings time……), and saw a wonderful sunrise from the ridge.

Also on the ridge, we felt a pretty chilly east wind, and could see the obvious scouring that was happening.

We had a brief discussion about whether or not we should just turn around right there, or continue on for a closer inspection of the face.

We trudged on with our fingers crossed to get a closer look at the face… 

…but weren't surprised to see that the face was totally wind effected.

We of course turned around, and began heading back to the cars, and breakfast after that.

Jeremy always says that it's good to leave a line behind for next time.  Even though we all really wanted to ride, everyone still remained in good spirits.

No matter how far away you are from a cornice edge, the things are still dangerous!

I'm coming to realize just how many variables there are with the Deeper project that make it an extremely difficult one.  The amount of positivity amongst the crew never ceases to amaze me, even after getting shut down when everyone had put so much energy into the day.  

More Unofficial Networks