It’s a fact, tree skiing is good for the soul. It’s a splendiferous feeling flowing through the forest immersed in glistening snow, as trees, rocks and critters whizz by. Most resorts, particularly in the US and Canada, have dedicated areas for tree skiing. Places like Jay Peak, Vermont and Steamboat, Colorado are known for their glad runs, but where is the best tree skiing in the world? To answer this question, we first have to answer what makes for stupendous tree skiing in the first place?
What makes splendiferous tree skiing?
- Well Spaced Trees – If the trees are too close together you are not going to get the flow you desire.
- Steepness – If the terrain is too flat you will not be able to reach an enjoyable cruising speed.
- Powder – Deep snow goes a long way in making an amazing day of tree skiing.
1. Hokkaido, Japan
There is something magical about the woods of Japan. On the Northern Island of Hokkaido resorts are hammered with 500 inches of annual snowfall. There is also something sacred about the woods of Japan. In fact, many locals refuse to enter the woods because they believe it is the home of the spirit world.
2. Krasnaya Polyana, Russia
The home of the 2014 Winter Olympics is also home to some of the best tree skiing on the planet. The woods of Krasnaya Polyana, Russia in the Caucasus Mountains are not only steep, but also hold countless cliff drops and playful features. However, vertical openings peppered throughout the woods that lead to subterranean caves can really spoil your day.
3. Cerro Catedral, Argentina
The trees at Cerro Catedral in Bariloche, Argentina are some of the best in the world. The trees in Bariloche are filled with logs, stumps, and rocks that form mini pillows you can blindly pop off into the white depths. The Catedral trees are out of bounds, which keeps ‘em fresh, and they have an easy ski out. Oh, and did we mention it’s a 4,000ft run!
Here are some VIDEOS you might want to check out.
1. Hokkaido, Japan - Skiing Pow and Eatin‘ Sushi | Niseko, Japan
2. Krasnaya Polyana, Russia - Timy Dutton POV – first day skiing in Russia
3. Cerro Catedral, Argentina - The best tree skiing on Earth