It rained to the top of the mountain thru most of the night last night and it’s still very warm in Squaw Valley. The wind was ripping all night and is still building. We saw a pretty steady stream of cars driving in last night.
This storm + lousy snow conditions + lotza people + the upper mountain closed should make for an interesting day today.
Just got a live UPDATE from KT-22 at 9:15am:
“Super crust up high, like skiing sand in the middle section, and mank down low.” – Eric Bryant
SQUAW CONDITIONS THIS AM:
- 0” of new snow
- On & off hail and rain with overcasts skies
- Winds are ripping thru the valley
- 30F at High Camp (8,200 ft) with wind gusts to 62mph
- 38F at the Base (6,200 ft)
- 90mph wind gusts on the ridge
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY BEGINS TODAY AT 2PM:
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 5 AM PDT SUNDAY.
* TIMING: SNOW AND RAIN WILL DEVELOP ALONG THE SIERRA CREST THIS MORNING WITH A PERIOD OF HEAVY RAIN AND SNOW ACROSS THE TAHOE BASIN LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND EARLY THIS EVENING.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 8 TO 16 INCHES ABOVE 7000 FEET WITH UP TO 6 INCHES DOWN TO LAKE LEVEL. HIGHEST AMOUNTS WILL OCCUR ALONG AND WEST OF HIGHWAY 89.
* WINDS: INCREASING TO 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH TONIGHT THIS MORNING. SIERRA RIDGE GUSTS WILL EXCEED 100 MPH.
* SNOW LEVELS: 7000 TO 7500 FEET THIS MORNING LOWERING TO LAKE LEVEL BY EARLY AFTERNOON.